Capt'n's Log

Subject: Weekend Warriors

Surfed for 3 hours with Kara Lynch, an original Team Shredder member who now lives in Massachusetts, but who still visits the Team from time to time. meet me in Okemah is a project she did, and Black Russians is another, btw.
Jenny D came all the way up from Tijuana to say hi. Somebody got her party on the night before, though, until 5 am, and I think she was a little too under the weather to surf. Jenny D and Kara are both part of La Linea, also based in TJ.

l to r: Margarita, Jenny, Kara, Abril, Amaranta, and someone unknown to me (I'm sorry!)
They are a great writing/art/performance group.


Anyway, yeah, so The Mrs. came home recently with a really cute & unavoidably choady surfer magazine for me. We laughed at it and then I've since been reading it cover to cover. It has a list of "69 things you gotta do before you die, brah," which contains all kinds of choadishly predictable things, like "camp on the beach," "get barelled," "get a noseride," and my fave, "become a Dude temporarily," which basically says, don't bathe for a week, scratch your stomach under your shirt, and call your wife bro. Another item on the choad living the dream list is "surf with a legend," which is what Kara and I ended up doing. While sitting on our boards wondering where the good waves went, I turned to an older gent and almost said, "You look like Mike Doyle." But I didn't. But then I realized he really was.





Mike back in the day----->





Good times.
Uh huh, and then next it was time to go see our friends me and my arrow play at the Che Cafe. They were SO cute and good! The Mrs. and I were really proud.
These kids really know how to write good songs, and then sing and play them, too. The kids of today give me hope for tomorrow.
*Cautionary note to anyone over 26: don't attempt to drink many Pabst Blue Ribbons with the chil'rens if you are sunburnt & tired after surfing for 3 hours. It is possible that the for the next 24 hours you will be unable to do anything except waddle to the farmer's market 2 blocks away, take a nap, meet the chil'rens for lunch, take another nap, wake up for dinner, walk along beach at poignant sunset with The Mrs., nap again.