This Week in Sports

The Capt'n's out there getting it done. She normally doesn't like to brag but in this last week alone she made two breakthroughs. Well really the precursors to breakthroughs, but it was eye of the tiger anyway.
1.) A cross step. A real one, not an awkward shuffle, not a little hop, but two real steps, left right.
here is an example of a cross step:


















And then here is Linda Benson doing one:







The cross step is one of the countless things that make longboarding far superior to shortboarding.







It was my 2nd ever cross step. First was a year ago, back before I was catching all kinds of mad rides and didn't know shit from shinola, in other words, before I was having anything to lose. I just tried it one day on a 1 inch wave without thinking about it too much. Since then I've learned to actually catch actual waves, and have spent all my energy on just enjoying the rides, or working on my turns, or trying not to wipe out, or learning to go right on big drops, etc.
But the other day I just felt ready, found a moment, and did it. I'll tell you what.
2.) An almost mini-barrel. Almost because it didn't really fully curl over, it just started to. I mean the lip was very prominent, but it didn't completely form a green room, just more of a green lean-to if you will. But I got down in there and even grabbed my rail, ok? Then I inexplicably stood up straight and rode out the rest of the wave with the lip smacking me in the side of the face, just to put myself in my place I suppose. Go know.